[R-SIG-Finance] Rglpk_solve_LP

Guy Yollin guy.yollin at rotellacapital.com
Wed May 27 16:47:48 CEST 2009

Nandi,

Rglpk_solve_LP is simply a general-purpose linear program solver.

Some portfolio optimization problems like conditional value-at-risk (CVaR) optimization or mean absolute deviation (MAD) optimization can be formulated as linear programs and solved using an LP solver like Rglpk_solve_LP.

To understand how this is done I would highly recommend texts like:
  Introduction to Modern Portfolio Optimization with NuOPT, Bernd Scherer, Doug Martin, 2007
  Portfolio Construction and Risk Budgeting, Bernd Scherer, 2007

In these types of optimization problems, the entire returns matrix (which intrinsically includes all of the information regarding covariance) is typically passed to linear programming solver.

Best,

Guy