[R-SIG-Finance] intraday data for VIX?

Charles Evans cevans at chyden.net
Mon May 25 03:24:25 CEST 2009

Just tossing in my 2¢ here...

I work in an academic environment.  The interfaces that data vendors
sell us are less intuitive and feature-rich than the ones that
professional traders get.  On the other hand, academic packages are
also much less expensive than professional packages, and our time is
not worth as much on a currency-unit/hour basis.

One of my great frustrations is getting access to data that my
university does not subscribe to.

If you have *any* active academic affiliation - e.g., you teach as an
adjunct, you are a part-time student, etc. - *sometimes* you can sweet-
talk your way into discounted or even pro-bono access to a data feed.
I have not approached Bloomberg, per se, and your mileage may vary.

If you are trying to get free access to data, do *not* be in a hurry.
Plan ahead and make contact with the data vendor as early as possible.

Dunno if this helps.  Ignore it, if it doesn't.  ;-)

C.Evans