[R-SIG-Finance] high frequency data analysis in R

Dale W.R. Rosenthal daler at uic.edu
Fri May 22 15:59:40 CEST 2009

Having looked a lot at high-frequency data, let me make a few
corrections here.

1) True, you have no transaction prices outside of when trades happen.
You could impute prices; but, that would also need to account for the
downward bias when an instrument has not traded for a while.  Also, you
cannot trust trade timestamps 100%; there is some publishing delay.
(The usual reasoning being that market makers need time to hedge after
getting hit/lifted.)

2) You do always have the NBBO and maybe even the book.  Better still,
you can probably trust quote timestamps.

3) Using these two data streams together requires caution.  Trades are
published with delay; and, while the delay might be small, it is not
small relative to the number of quote changes.  Therefore, you have
NBBOs and you have trade prices; but, matching them up is not
straightforward.  Worse:  There is endogeneity that can creep in.  A
trade may induce a change in quotes.  Comparing the trade price to
quotes after the trade occurred will bias any comparison.

If you want to read up on a way to handle that delay, look at sections 3
and 4 of my trade direction paper at
http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=1032701.  The basic
idea: you might want to average quotes before the trade using something
like a gamma distribution for the delay -- so you have \hat{q}_t =
\int_0^T GammaCDF(s) q_{t-s} ds.

You can also find code to do this at http://tigger.uic.edu/~daler/code.html

Just a few thoughts since we seem to be drifting toward mixing quotes
and trades indiscriminately.

Dale

--
Dale W.R. Rosenthal
Assistant Professor, Department of Finance