[R-SIG-Finance] high frequency data analysis in R

Hae Kyung Im hakyim at gmail.com
Thu May 21 18:51:23 CEST 2009

Relating the approach that turns irregular data into regular one,
I guess it's a complex question and how you approach it will depend on
the specific problem.

With your method, you would assume that the price is equal to the last
traded price or something like that. If there is no trade for some
time, would it make sense to say that the price is the last traded
price? If you wanted to actually buy/sell at that price, it's not
obvious that you'll be able to do so.

Also, if you only look at the time series of instantaneous prices, you
would be losing a lot of information about what happened in between
the time points. It makes more sense to aggregate and keep, for
example, open, high, low and close. Or some statistics on the
distribution of the prices between the endpoints.

If what you need to calculate is correlations, then I would look at
the papers that Liviu suggested. It seems that synchronicity is
critical. I heard there is an extension of TSRV to correlations.

If you only need to look at univariate time series, you may be able to
get away with your method more easily. It may not be statistically
efficient but may give you a good enough answer in some cases.

HTH
Haky