[R-SIG-Finance] Non-parametric tests in R

Subhrangshu Nandi nands31 at gmail.com
Fri May 15 21:22:01 CEST 2009

Lets say I have a population of 500 datapoints, which is clearly not normal.
(Please see attached text file for an example population). These datapoints
can be assumed to be IID. Now, I get 30 more datapoints and want to test if
these have been drawn (with replacement) from the population. I'm doing the
followin:

1. Since the population is non-normal, I'm unable to use regular t-tests. I
am trying to use Wilcoxon's rank sum test in R. I'm not sure if it only
compares the new sample with the median of the population or does it also
compare the central tendency of the dataset around the median.

2. I'm bootstrapping 5000 samples (resampling), of size 30 from the
population and recording their means and standard deviations and trying to
infer if my sample mean is within acceptable range. I'm using the concept of
Law of Large Numbers, however, I'm not sure if this is an acceptable
methodology.

Any thoughts on this will be great.
-Nandi

--
I'm a great believer in luck, and I find the harder I work the more I have
of it.  ~Thomas Jefferson

Subhrangshu Nandi
High Frequency Trading
Greater Chicago Area