[R-SIG-Finance] [R-sig-finance] Domestic risk free rate in FX option

Kris kriskumar at earthlink.net
Tue May 12 03:04:35 CEST 2009

To add my two cents to this.. Black-76 formula is really Black-scholes with the substitution F=S*exp((r-q)T) and  is the formula used to price options in currency land on options on forwards in general.  The black-76 formula gives you a value in term pips so in the case of EURGBP the value that comes out of the formula is in GBP pips. In order to convert this as a % of EUR notional you divide by Spot. If you are dealing with a GBP notional then you divide the result from the formula by strike to get this as a % of GBP notional. Typical quoting convention is to quote as a % of BASE (EUR) notional.

In general it is useful to think of the equivalence to stocks when IBM is quoted as 102$ it is really IBMUSD  => the amount of USD you need for one unit of IBM. So here IBM is the base or foreign ASSET and USD is the TERM or domestic asset in whose units the price is quoted. So when you price an option on IBM the value you get is in term (USD) units

Hope this helps,

Cheers
Krishna