[R-SIG-Finance] MSE from GARCH forecast

alexios alexios at 4dscape.com
Sat Apr 4 07:30:56 CEST 2009

Hi Shamiri,

The package will be updated during the next build cycle which means in
about 24 hours.
The package calculates mse of variance forecast as:
mse = mean[('realized' - forecast).('realized' - forecast)]. Given a
dataset of 1000 obs for example, and selecting to test mse on the last
100, means that we treat those 100 as the realized observations. For
conditional variance we usually take the actual data for those 100 obs,
and filter (based on information from the previous 900 obs) to obtain
residuals which you square to get 'realized' variance which you can then
compare with the garch forecast variance.

HTH,
Alexios