[R-SIG-Finance] Antwort: [R-sig-finance] VaR

Brian G. Peterson brian at braverock.com
Tue Mar 3 22:14:01 CET 2009

Subadditivity is critically important in a portfolio context if you wish
to dis-aggregate or slice the portfolio in different ways, as I
mentioned in my previous email.  You need to understand risk
contribution in a coherent fashion if you want to be able to rearrange a
large portfolio into sub-portfolios and have a rational and fungible
understanding of what each of those slices contributes to the total risk
of your portfolio.

That said, ES/CVaR is often just an excuse for not getting the tail
distribution correct.  By providing the "mean loss beyond the VaR"
CVaR/ES try to smooth out the tail risk into one number.  This has its
own risks, but is at least honest about the fact that you don't truly
know the distribution of the returns under all circumstances.

As for the "dependence structure between asset[s]", my personal
preference is to use more than two moments, by extending things to
include skewness and kurtosis.  In a portfolio context, you then use all
four moments of each asset, and all the co-moments (covariance,
coskewness, cokurtosis).  I find this to be a more intellectually
satisfying approach than just finding the best-fitting distribution out
of some arbitrary list of distributions (or copulae, etc.) because the
first four moments of the observed returns are easily understood, have
real economic meaning, and can be communicated to most other investment
professionals.  Contrast that with the greek-alphabet-soup of parameters
to the arbitrary distribution of your choice that have mathematical
meaning but not direct financial meaning.

I agree completely that subadditivity is not always important, but
neither is it unimportant.  The trick is knowing when you need a
subadditive measure.

Regards,

  - Brian

--