[R-SIG-Finance] about periodicity data

Michael Sun mam3xs at gmail.com
Fri Oct 24 20:17:00 CEST 2008

Hi Guys,
Does any one have  the experience on how to normalise(or we say standardise)
the periodic data, for example, the attached data.

I am not going to use it for forecasting, rather than treat it as an input
variable for another model with the other time series data.
e.g. model the volatility of return series, r(t), one can add trade volume
as an exogenous variable in the conditional variance equation. IF the volume
data has the characteristic of periodicity, should it be normalised?

I know the moving average is a method to detect the seasonality or periodic,
however, it will reduce the data observations, e.g. we have one series {a1,
a2, ..... , a99}, after taking the moving average (3 point) it could be only
one third of the {a1', a2',...,a33'} series.

Appreciate for any comment.

Cheers
Mam