[R-SIG-Finance] Winsorization

Patrick Burns patrick at burns-stat.com
Thu Sep 18 18:46:35 CEST 2008

Neil,

I don't recall having the opportunity to think of MVE
in finance.  But I have tried the moral equivalent in
regression (when building risk models).  The results were
that high-breakdown regression did worst.  Best was
Huber M-estimation with quite mild robustness.
Least squares was almost as good as the best, and
better than almost all of the robust regressions.

Pat