[R-SIG-Finance] quantmod data from FRED and Yahoo

Shlomo Katchmalik katchmalik at gmail.com
Tue Jun 17 19:59:25 CEST 2008

Hi All,

I'm having trouble using quantmod (one of my favorite packages) to
download forex data from FRED and stock data from Yahoo.

First, using the following commands:

library(quantmod)
getSymbols("DEXUSJP",src="FRED")

I get the following error message:

Error in download.file(paste(FRED.URL, "/", Symbols[[i]], "/",
"downloaddata/",  :
  cannot open URL
'http://research.stlouisfed.org/fred2/series/DEXUSJP/downloaddata/DEXUSJP.csv'
In addition: Warning message:
In download.file(paste(FRED.URL, "/", Symbols[[i]], "/", "downloaddata/",  :
  cannot open: HTTP status was '404 Not Found'

It looks like FRED's url has changed.  Is anyone else having this problem?

Second, using the commands:

library(quantmod)
getSymbols("GOOG")

I get a number of error messages essentially repeating the following:

 In structure(.Internal(as.POSIXct(x, tz)), class = c("POSIXt", "POSIXct"),  :
  unknwon timezone 'XXXST'

where "XXX" is some weird character.

Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks,