[R-SIG-Finance] Framework for VAR allocation among traders

Brian G. Peterson brian at braverock.com
Mon Mar 17 15:55:32 CET 2008

elton wang wrote:
> My point is,
> when underlying is non normal, any sample higher
> moments may highly sensitive to outliers; without a
> study of sample moments sensitity and converegence to
> outliers, you can not justify the quality of VaR
> modification.

I agree that the sample moments (and especially the co-moments) are
highly sensitive to outliers.  This is why we developed a cleaning
method to decrease the sensitivity.

I also agree that it could make sense to test for the sensistivity of
the estimates of the moments.  I can envision how to test this using
Baysian methods.  I would appreciate any insight you might have on other
more computationally tractable sensitivity tests for skewness and kurtosis.

> you tested/simulated one skewed t distribution, but
> you can not rule out all other underlying distribution
> possibilities even within t-distribution with
> different DOF.

Many other papers have shown that the Cornish fisher expansion is a good
estimator even when compared to multiple other ideal fitted
distributions.  We did not feel the need to redo that work.

> These higher momonents mod on VaR are overdone IMHO.

That might be true if the data you are working with approximate the
normal distribution, or are otherwise well-behaved.  When basically all
the series that you look at are significantly non-normal, as is the case
with hedge fund returns, then some method of accounting for that
non-normality is also required.

Regards,

   - Brian