[R-SIG-Finance] Framework for VAR allocation among traders

elton wang ahala2000 at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 17 15:45:10 CET 2008

My point is,
when underlying is non normal, any sample higher
moments may highly sensitive to outliers; without a
study of sample moments sensitity and converegence to
outliers, you can not justify the quality of VaR
modification.

you tested/simulated one skewed t distribution, but
you can not rule out all other underlying distribution
possibilities even within t-distribution with
different DOF.

These higher momonents mod on VaR are overdone IMHO.

http://www.gloriamundi.org/detailpopup.asp?ID=453055537