[R-SIG-Finance] Non-gaussian (L-stable) Garch innovations

Patrick Burns patrick at burns-stat.com
Tue Dec 25 11:13:13 CET 2007

Spencer,

Perhaps the scaling of the stable is different than for the
normal.  You should be able to figure out the standard
deviation for the normal that matches one point, and then
see if other points match.

As for asymptotics of residuals and so on, I doubt you
will get to the right answer if the data were generated by a
process (stable innovations) that do not conform to finite
likelihoods.  But this is probably better answered by someone
who cares about asymptotics.

Pat