[R-SIG-Finance] are R packages open-source?

Brian G. Peterson brian at braverock.com
Wed Sep 26 13:26:46 CEST 2007

Alexander Moreno wrote:
> I'm trying to modify some of the commands in add-on packages, and I'm
> wondering if they are open source, which would allow me to do that?  If so,
> does anyone know how I could access the code?

Jeff has already mostly answered your question, but I'll provide what
may be a bit of clarification.

All R core packages and R itself are released under the GNU Public
License (GPL), and you are thus free to modify their code.  There are
other restrictions on attribution and distribution in the GPL that are
spelled out in the license but basically come down to crediting the
source, noting your changes, and distributing your modifications always
under the GPL as well.

The vast majority of CRAN packages for R are also distributed under the
GPL, also allowing you to change the source.  As Jeff has pointed out,
you need to check the License section for the package you're looking at
either on CRAN or in the downloaded package itself.  Feel free to ask on
this list if you're not clear on the licensing status of any particular
license or package.

In something that might otherwise go unsaid: If you make changes to a
package to either fix a bug or enhance the functionality, *please* give
back those changes to the community that you have benefited so much from
by sending them to the package maintainer at least, and
possibly/probably also posting your modifications to this list if they
are finance-related. Everyone benefits when we share our work and code
on published analytical techniques, even though the professional
investors among us will continue to compete in the markets.

Regards,

   - Brian