[R-SIG-Finance] zoo-like classes in c++?

Gabor Grothendieck ggrothendieck at gmail.com
Tue Jul 31 23:09:09 CEST 2007

No, zoo does not use builtin time and date classes.  It does not
know anything about Date, chron, POSIXct, etc.  Its completely
general and only assumes that whatever classes you use are ordered
(that's the O in zoo) and have certain methods defined. See ?zoo for
more information on the methods assumed.

For example, here we are using letters as our time/date class.  The
time/date class in this example is not even numeric:

> library(zoo)
> z <- zoo(11:15, letters[1:5])
> merge(z, lag(z, -1))
   z lag(z, -1)
a 11         NA
b 12         11
c 13         12
d 14         13
e 15         14

(Actually there are a few exceptions to the above for convenience, i.e.
"yearqtr" and "yearmon" classes are provided, as.Date.numeric
is provided and read.zoo understands Date and POSIXct classes
but overall the statement that its perfectly general is correct.)