[R-SIG-Finance] zoo-like classes in c++?

Sean O'Riordain seanpor at acm.org
Tue Jul 31 22:37:22 CEST 2007

Jordi,

I've been doing some work with big text files (50+mb) recently and I
thought that I could only do the work in for() loops etc... I was ok
up to a certain size then my machine just couldn't take it ran out of
memory and I had to rework my algorithm - staying in R - I work in a
corporate environment where making changes to my desktop is something
that takes weeks and I just didn't have that time on the project...
Eventually I figured out how to vectorise the calculations and on a
small file what took minutes reduced to instantaneous, and from what
was impossible took a mere 10 seconds once vectorised...

Are you really sure that it is really impossible to vectorise this?

cheers,
Sean