[R-sig-finance] [R] question about GARCH - newbie question

Patrick Burns patrick at burns-stat.com
Sat Feb 18 18:15:24 CET 2006

I have moved this from R-help to R-sig-finance.  And
I'll let someone else handle some of the R specific
questions.

An understanding of the meaning of the coefficients might
be attained by reading the help file.  If not, then a message
to the maintainer of the package with suggests on how to
make the help file more clear would be in order.

Another way of deciding (assuming you have market
return data) is to fit a garch(1,1) model and look at the
coefficients.  The one that is about .9 goes with the lagged
conditional variance, and the one that is about .1 goes
with the lagged squared residual.  By the way, this test is
only likely to work if you have enough data -- a dataset
with 1000 daily returns is a fairly small sample.

Regarding question 2 on model selection:  The not-very-good
common practice is to fit a garch(1,1) and forget about it.
A garch(2,2) model is probably a better choice given a limited
menu.  The adequacy of the model can be checked by using
a rank Ljung-Box test on the squared residuals from the model.
It is important to use the rank rather than the standard test
for this -- see the Burns Statistics working paper on the subject.

Patrick Burns
patrick at burns-stat.com
+44 (0)20 8525 0696
http://www.burns-stat.com