[R-sig-finance] [R] Bloomberg Data Import to R

John Marsland john.marsland at mac.com
Thu Feb 16 19:19:00 CET 2006

 <davidr <at> rhotrading.com> writes:

> The data download limit will be 500,000 REQUESTS per day.
> If you ask for 20 fields for 2000 instruments for 500 days in one
> function call, that counts as one request.
>
> If you perform any sort of transformation or analysis on the data,
> it is permissible to distribute the results (at least within your firm.)
>
> David L. Reiner

No, that counts as 40,000 requests (the time series can be as long as you like)
daily limit 500,000 and monthly limit 30x 500,000. We have been told informally
these are coming down post Server API... it's quite a hard sell on quants!

And technically you can't distribute data or derived data without permission and
you can't put it in a database. Legally you could normally,  but you sign away
that right in the Data License

to quote:

Before you begin pulling Bloomberg data into your desktop application there are
a few extended limitations and rules that you should be aware:

There is a daily limit to the number of hits you can make to our data servers. A
"hit" is defined as one request for a singled security/field pairing. Therefore,
if you request static data for 5 fields and 10 securities, that will translate
into a total of 50 hits. This is currently being enforced. (500,000)

There is a limit to the number of unique securities you can monitor (3,500) at
any one time, where the number of fields is unlimited. This is currently being
enforced.

There is a monthly limit to the number of hits you can make to our data servers.
This is currently being enforced.

Each consumer of the API must be logged into his/her Bloomberg Professional
terminal. This is currently being enforced.

also:

SP agrees that SR may, solely for the purposes and on the conditions set forth
in this Addendum, receive the Information by means of a
Bloomberg Datafeed into Authorized Computers of SR. SR may use the Information,
Reformatted Information and Derived Information for SR's
internal business purposes, including without limitation, as input to computer
applications on Authorized Computers. In no event will SR permit the
Information, Reformatted Information or the Derived Information to be used in
any way not specifically authorized by SP. In no event will SR permit
the Information or the Reformatted Information to be moved, copied, broadcast,
reproduced, ported, or otherwise routed to or used in any fashion
on any non-Authorized Computer, printer, display, or application; provided,
however, that SR may store the Information, Reformatted Information
and Derived Information as set forth herein. SR will take all steps reasonably
necessary to ensure that SR's employees comply with all provisions
of the Agreement, including this Addendum, and will obtain from its employees
appropriate agreements regarding confidentiality and nondisclosure
to prevent unauthorized disclosure and misuse during and after the Term.