[R-sig-finance] Solve.QP

roger bos roger.bos at gmail.com
Wed Jul 13 15:10:10 CEST 2005

I have went through this exercise and posted an answer to the email
list: search for "portfolio.optim" and "solved" and it will be the
first hit.  Anyway, I have pasted the code in this message.

library(quadprog)
library(MASS)
rm(sol)

n<-100	 # number of assets
m<-200			 # number of states of the world

rho<-0.7
sigma<-0.2
mu<-.1
Cov <- matrix(rho*sigma*sigma, ncol=n, nrow=n) diag(Cov) <- rep(sigma*sigma, n)
S <- 1+matrix(mvrnorm(m, rep(mu, n), Sigma=Cov), ncol=n)
Cov <- var(S) #gives same answer as cov(S) mu <- apply(S, 2, mean)
mu.target <- mean(mu)
bLo <- rep(0, n)

Amat <- rbind(1, mu)
dim(bLo) <- c(n,1)

bvec <- t(rbind(1, mu.target, bLo))
zMat <- diag(n)
Amat <- t(rbind(Amat, zMat))

Dmat=Cov
dvec=rep(0, nrow(Amat))

#The first two rows of Amat should be equality constraints (so weights
sum to 1) meq <- 2

sol <- solve.QP(Dmat=Dmat, dvec=dvec, Amat=Amat, bvec=bvec, meq) sol
w.asset <- zapsmall(sol$solution)
par(mfrow=c(1,2))
plot(w.asset, type="n")
lines(w.asset, type="h")
hist(w.asset)

#test to see that we get the same result with portfolio.optim
res<-portfolio.optim(S)
wgt <- zapsmall(res$pw)
cbind(w.asset, wgt) #shows both methods are equal

Thanks,

Roger