[R-sig-finance] Computing implied volatility using fOptions

davidr at rhotrading.com davidr at rhotrading.com
Fri Feb 18 20:29:33 CET 2005

Seems excessive to me. Usually implied vol calcs converge in relatively few iterations with a simple NR solver. Given the accuracy and precision of the option prices, I wouldn't ask for such precision in the implieds.
Chances are you have some bad prices, which is not unusual even in very active markets. You should probably concentrate on the out-of-the-money
options, since they usually give more relevant information.

(BTW, I looked on Bloomberg for these options, and it says there are no options in WIG20, either on the cash index or on the futures. Are these OTC's? If so, then, somewhat different cautions may apply.)

David Reiner