[R-sig-finance] VAR, VECM, Kalman, ... non-R software recomme ndations?

Pfaff, Bernhard Bernhard.Pfaff at drkw.com
Tue Aug 24 15:58:46 CEST 2004

Hello Dirk,

just to give you a brief glimpse of what you can expect from the built-in
functions in EViews here is a rough excerpt from the manual for estimating a
vector error correction model:

function:
var_name.ec(trend, n) lag_pairs y1 y2 @ x1 x2

"Specify the order of the VEC by entering one or more pairs of lag
intervals, then list the endogenous variables. Note that the lag orders are
those of the first differences, not the levels. If you are comparing results
to another software program, you should be certain that the specifications
for the lag orders are comparable."

*Ah, never thought that this would matter*

"You may include exogenous variables, such as seasonal dummies, in the VEC
by including an '@'-sign followed by the list of series..."
"You must specify the trend option and the number of cointegrating equations
n to use...in parenthesis..."

Well, as Whit pointed out earlier, if you leave the menue driven area of
EViews and do your own macro programming, EViews is inferior to RATS/CATS,
IMHO.

Bernhard