[R-sig-finance] warning messages with timeDate

Diethelm Wuertz wuertz at itp.phys.ethz.ch
Fri Jun 25 07:37:53 CEST 2004

"timeDate" and "timeSeries" implement objects which are in some sense
SPlus like concerning
the command structure, but very different in the underlying concept.

Internally all dates are POSIX dates which are handled in the "pure" GMT
time zone excluding
daylight saving rules. This makes time and date management unique. So
you have to find a way
to work within R  with GMT and no DST! The rest is done by the financial
center concept. The
idea behind it is, that you have 1) the place where you recorded the
data (handled by the argument
zone) and 2) where you use the data, this is handled by the  argument
FinCenter.  The information
on DST is retrieved from the Ical date and tables.

For example, within this concept you can handle data records from around
1980 when
Frankfurt and Zurich had different DST rules although they belong to the
same time zone!

If you don't move internally in R to GMT without DST there can be
created interferences and the
date conversions can become wrong, to remember this, you get the warnings!

regards
Diethelm Wuertz