[R-sig-finance] slightly OT - R vs. matlab

Patrick Burns patrick at burns-stat.com
Wed Jun 23 22:33:58 CEST 2004

In my experience versions of S are much more prevalent
than matlab in equities, while matlab is more prevalent than
S in fixed income.  However, S does seem to be making
some inroads into fixed income.

I can explain this by observing that

1)  fixed income is mathematical as well as statistical.

2)  matlab was available before S.

3)  for reasons way beyond my capabilities, it has only been
in recent years that more than a handful of people have thought
that finance is a statistical subject.

This depends on the generally accepted axiom:
matlab is better suited to mathematics, S is better suited to statistics.

Patrick Burns

Burns Statistics
patrick at burns-stat.com
+44 (0)20 8525 0696