[R-sig-finance] slightly OT - R vs. matlab

Tamas Papp tpapp at axelero.hu
Wed Jun 23 20:42:50 CEST 2004

On Wed, Jun 23, 2004 at 11:13:42AM -0700, Jim McLoughlin wrote:

> Hi
>
> Was discussing this with a colleague today and wondering what other
> people thought - how popular is R (or S-Plus) in quantitative finance
> compared to matlab?  (I know SAS probably beats both of them for
> non-computational finance work).  Any strong opinions on why R is
> better/worse than matlab?

FYI: I asked the very same question on the r-help mailing list
approx. a month ago.  You will find a lot of good opinions about this
in the archives of that list.

Best,

Tamas

--
Tamás K. Papp
E-mail: tpapp at axelero.hu (preferred, especially for large messages)
        tpapp at westel900.net
Please try to send only (latin-2) plain text, not HTML or other garbage.