[R-sig-finance] Re: R-metrics new build

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Mon Jun 14 02:06:33 CEST 2004

On Sun, Jun 13, 2004 at 08:14:33PM -0400, Phil wrote:
> Diethelm,
>
> OK, so I'm knew to R and Linux.  How do I build this?  My guess is that I
> have to download the R source (instead of just the binaries) and rebuild R.
> Is this correct?  If not, some guidance would be helpful.

No, it is much easier due to the modular package system design.  For any
given CRAN package from

	http://cran.r-project.org/src/contrib/

you have two easy choices. Let's take its as a simple example

1)  Download the latest tar.gz, i.e. its_1.0.3.tar.gz
    Simply install it by saying
    	$ R CMD INSTALL its_1.0.3.tar.gz
    which will do whatever is needed.  Note that for packages with source
    code in C, C++, Fortan, you do need to have the required compilers,
    headers, ... as well as any external libraries. You probably also need
    to do this as root due to write permissions.

2)  Do it from inside R (also preferaby as root)

        > install.packages("its")

If you are runninging Debian, you get a third choice:

        $ apt-get install r-cran-its

Now, back to Rmetrics. Given that these are not yet on CRAN, you are
probably best served by 1) and a download of the sources followed by 'R CMD
INSTALL ...'.

Hope this helps, and good luck,

Dirk

> Phil Morenz
>
> > *June 13, 2004
> > Rmetrics - new Built 190.10055
> >
> > Rmetrics is an environment and a collection of functions
> > for teaching financial engineering and computational finance
> >
> > *The new built should now run out of the box under Windows, Linux, and
> > Mac OSX. In addition new functionality has been added, and some fixes
> > has been done. New functions and example files have been added. Please
> > inspect the FAQ and CHANGES <CHANGES.html> files. Goto: www.rmetrics.org .
> >
> > Suggestions are welcome!
> >
> > Diethelm Wuertz
> > www.rmetrics.org

FEATURE:  VW Beetle license plate in California