[R-sig-Fedora] R 4.0.0

Iñaki Ucar |uc@r @end|ng |rom |edor@project@org
Mon May 4 21:31:42 CEST 2020

On Mon, 4 May 2020 at 19:15, Tom Callaway <tcallawa using redhat.com> wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> As expected of a new major release of R, there is a break in compatibility
> for R packages. From the NEWS entry for 4.0.0:
>
>    Packages need to be (re-)installed under this version (4.0.0) of R.
>
> This has two impacts on Fedora/EPEL.
>
> 1. Users who update to 4.0.0 will need to rebuild any/all packages
> installed from CRAN.
> 2. Fedora/EPEL R packages will need to be rebuilt for 4.0.0.
>
> For EPEL, #2 is less impactful (there are not that many R packages in EPEL)
> but for Fedora, this is a pretty big lift.
>
> I'm thinking that we'll only push this update to EPEL-8, F32, and rawhide,
> but please, if you have input here, chime in.

I agree. And we patched the symbol issues in v3.6.3 in F31 (please,
don't forget to trigger a build and an update) thanks to Paul Murrell,
so we're fine on that front.

I'll have to rebuild 15k packages on the CRAN Copr repo. That's gonna
be huuuge. :) I'll try to do that while the update is sitting in
updates-testing and before it's pushed to stable.

Iñaki