[R-sig-Fedora] Fedora 29 upgrade: texlive-scheme-medium may depend on R (texlive-includernw)

Roger Bivand Roger@Biv@nd @ending from nhh@no
Sat Nov 10 19:12:15 CET 2018

On Sat, 10 Nov 2018, Andreas Storvik Strauman wrote:

> Hello! I'm confused as to what the actual problem with includeRnw is? Is
> the problem that it relies on R-knitr? Before it would be withdrawn, may
> I be given an opportunity to fix said problem?

Yes, the problem is that it expesses an external dependence on anything
outside texlive. On packaging systems (for me Fedora), this explicitly
pulls in all of R and all R-knitr's other package dependencies. If an
existing R installation is not found by the package manager, the user gets
an unnecessary install of R which will mask the existing and intended R
installation, with different package libraries, etc.

> includeRnw only invokes the already existing R installation, and should
> not affect any other global settings or affect the installation in any
> way. If this is the case, it's a bug and I'd like more details so I
> could fix said bug.

My point exactly. It should only run R RHOME to check for the existence of
R (if this is what it does) at run time, not at install time. If it then,
at run time, does not find R, or having found R does not find knitr
(though Sweave is part of utils, so knitr is only needed by those using
knitr to weave Rnw documents, or to convert from Rmd), it should issue
helpful error messages to tell the user to install R, or to install knitr
within R. By requiring to see R when being run by root/admin at install
time, it is making invasive assumptions about the user environment.

It could be that the texlive-includernw package itself does not require
install time dependency fulfillment, and that this is something only the
Fedora texlive packager has mis-understood.

> I agree that for larger projects using includeRnw easily would be
> redundant as R is invoked on a per-file basis and not by it's own
> including syntax. However, one might like files properly separated and
> executed individually. I myself find it a fairly nice workflow for many
> of my projects.

R is a pretty large install just for one texlive package.

Roger