[R-sig-Fedora] rgl.snapshot only captures a small portion what's visible in the RGL device window on CentOS 7

Wittner, Ben, Ph.D. Wittner.Ben at mgh.harvard.edu
Mon Jan 11 19:24:10 CET 2016

Dear Tom, Thank you very much for thinking about this. Please see my replies below. -Ben

> Are you using the EPEL R 3.2.3 builds?

I'm not sure what the question means, but I'm pretty sure the answer is no. I know I built the versions of R I used from source code (i.e., ./configure followed by make).

> What version of Centos 7? 7.2?

[bwittner at kagoshima ~]$ cat /etc/redhat-release
CentOS Linux release 7.2.1511 (Core)
[bwittner at kagoshima ~]$ rpm -q centos-release
centos-release-7-2.1511.el7.centos.2.10.x86_64
[bwittner at kagoshima ~]$ uname -rmi
3.10.0-327.3.1.el7.x86_64 x86_64 x86_64

> Is the NVIDIA driver in play?

I think so. When I execute the command lspci -v, the only block that has mention of VGA is the following:

07:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation G84GL [Quadro FX 370] (rev a1) (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])
        Subsystem: NVIDIA Corporation Device 0491
        Memory at df000000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16M]
        Memory at c0000000 (64-bit, prefetchable) [size=256M]
        Memory at dc000000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=32M]
        I/O ports at dc00 [size=128]
        Expansion ROM at defe0000 [disabled] [size=128K]
        Capabilities: <access denied>
        Kernel driver in use: nouveau

> What version of the NVIDIA driver are you using?

Since the output of lspci above said "Kernel driver in use: nouveau", I executed the command modinfo nouveau, getting the following output:

filename:       /lib/modules/3.10.0-327.3.1.el7.x86_64/kernel/drivers/gpu/drm/nouveau/nouveau.ko
license:        GPL and additional rights
author:         Nouveau Project
rhelversion:    7.2
srcversion:     C131306B4DEC7AB88BC647D
alias:          pci:v000012D2d*sv*sd*bc03sc*i*
alias:          pci:v000010DEd*sv*sd*bc03sc*i*
depends:        drm,drm_kms_helper,ttm,mxm-wmi,i2c-core,wmi,video,i2c-algo-bit
intree:         Y
vermagic:       3.10.0-327.3.1.el7.x86_64 SMP mod_unload modversions
signer:         CentOS Linux kernel signing key
sig_key:        3D:4E:71:B0:42:9A:39:8B:8B:78:3B:6F:8B:ED:3B:AF:09:9E:E9:A7
sig_hashalgo:   sha256
parm:           tv_norm:Default TV norm.
		Supported: PAL, PAL-M, PAL-N, PAL-Nc, NTSC-M, NTSC-J,
			hd480i, hd480p, hd576i, hd576p, hd720p, hd1080i.
		Default: PAL
		*NOTE* Ignored for cards with external TV encoders. (charp)
parm:           vram_pushbuf:Create DMA push buffers in VRAM (int)
parm:           nofbaccel:Disable fbcon acceleration (int)
parm:           tv_disable:Disable TV-out detection (int)
parm:           ignorelid:Ignore ACPI lid status (int)
parm:           duallink:Allow dual-link TMDS (default: enabled) (int)
parm:           pstate:enable sysfs pstate file, which will be moved in the future (int)
parm:           config:option string to pass to driver core (charp)
parm:           debug:debug string to pass to driver core (charp)
parm:           noaccel:disable kernel/abi16 acceleration (int)
parm:           modeset:enable driver (default: auto, 0 = disabled, 1 = enabled, 2 = headless) (int)
parm:           runpm:disable (0), force enable (1), optimus only default (-1) (int)
parm:           agpmode:AGP mode (0 to disable AGP) (int)

The information in this e-mail is intended only for the ...{{dropped:11}}