[R-sig-Fedora] Centos / Fedora rpm - issue with openblas

Milan Bouchet-Valat nalimilan at club.fr
Mon Jun 16 16:19:39 CEST 2014

Le lundi 16 juin 2014 à 09:50 -0400, Tom Callaway a écrit :
> On 06/16/2014 09:38 AM, Martyn Plummer wrote:
> > Something like the previous behaviour could be put in place by adding
> > the option --enable-BLAS-shlib when R is configured. Then libRblas.so
> > will be built as before. However, this libRblas will not contain a copy
> > of the reference blas that comes with R. Instead it will be just be a
> > stub that redirects BLAS calls to the external BLAS library. (NB You
> > must also use --enable-R-shlib for this to work, but this is the case
> > for the Fedora SRPM so not a problem).
> >
> > This option gives you the best of both worlds. However, such a change
> > would have to wait until the next major release of R.
>
> I think we'd enable such a change if it were supported in R.
Indeed this would be great. One of the points of using a system-wide
BLAS is to allow the user to choose the one which is most suited to
one's hardware and use case. Not being allow to change BLAS without
recompiling R is a big annoyance. Personally, I recently discovered that
using OpenBLAS instead of the standard one made fitting large models
about 4x faster.

Regards