[R-sig-Fedora] Updating R on RHL5

Marc Schwartz marc_schwartz at me.com
Wed Dec 19 00:32:48 CET 2012

On Dec 18, 2012, at 5:09 PM, Christos Hatzis <chatzis-rhel at nuverabio.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I haven't used my system in a while now and wanted to update R.
> Running yum update R fails because of missing dependency texinfo-tex
> I have installed the EPEL yum repo configurations but
> yum install texinfo-tex does not find the package.
> How can I install that missing package?
>
> Any help is appreciated.
> Thanks.
> -Christos
>
> ## ===========================================
>
> [root at localhost ~]# yum update R
> Loaded plugins: rhnplugin, security
> There was an error communicating with RHN.
> RHN support will be disabled.
> Error communicating with server. The message was:
>
> Error Message:
>        Please run rhn_register as root on this client
> Error Class Code: 9
> Error Class Info: Invalid System Credentials.
> Explanation:
>     An error has occurred while processing your request. If this
> problem
>     persists please enter a bug report at bugzilla.redhat.com.
>     If you choose to submit the bug report, please be sure to include
>     details of what you were trying to do when this error occurred and
>     details on how to reproduce this problem.
>
> Skipping security plugin, no data
> Setting up Update Process
> Resolving Dependencies
> There are unfinished transactions remaining. You might consider running
> yum-complete-transaction first to finish them.
> The program yum-complete-transaction is found in the yum-utils package.
> Skipping security plugin, no data
> --> Running transaction check
> ---> Package R.x86_64 0:2.15.2-1.el5 set to be updated
> --> Processing Dependency: libRmath-devel = 2.15.2-1.el5 for package: R
> --> Processing Dependency: R-devel = 2.15.2-1.el5 for package: R
> --> Running transaction check
> ---> Package R-devel.x86_64 0:2.15.2-1.el5 set to be updated
> --> Processing Dependency: R-core = 2.15.2-1.el5 for package: R-devel
> --> Processing Dependency: texinfo-tex for package: R-devel
> ---> Package libRmath-devel.x86_64 0:2.15.2-1.el5 set to be updated
> --> Processing Dependency: libRmath = 2.15.2-1.el5 for package:
> libRmath-devel
> --> Running transaction check
> ---> Package R-core.x86_64 0:2.15.2-1.el5 set to be updated
> ---> Package R-devel.x86_64 0:2.15.2-1.el5 set to be updated
> --> Processing Dependency: texinfo-tex for package: R-devel
> ---> Package libRmath.x86_64 0:2.15.2-1.el5 set to be updated
> --> Finished Dependency Resolution
> R-devel-2.15.2-1.el5.x86_64 from epel has depsolving problems
>  --> Missing Dependency: texinfo-tex is needed by package
> R-devel-2.15.2-1.el5.x86_64 (epel)
> Error: Missing Dependency: texinfo-tex is needed by package
> R-devel-2.15.2-1.el5.x86_64 (epel)
> You could try using --skip-broken to work around the problem
> You could try running: package-cleanup --problems
>                        package-cleanup --dupes
>                        rpm -Va --nofiles --nodigest
> [...]

I don't use RHEL, but a quick search suggests that texinfo is part of the RHEL default yum repos. The error message above regarding the RHN (Red Hat Network) might be consistent with a lapse in your support agreement with RH, which is a paid service.

Thus, you might want to verify that your support agreement is still active and/or that you have the correct login credentials for the service. If not, you will have to renew and/or correct the login information. The EPEL does not require these.

If it is still active, you might try running a full system update, since you may have other out of date components, contributing to the problem. That should be:

  yum update

Once you have resolved these issues, you can then install/update R.

Regards,

Marc Schwartz