[R-sig-Fedora] installing R from source on fedora

peter dalgaard pdalgd at gmail.com
Wed Nov 9 16:54:24 CET 2011

On Nov 9, 2011, at 08:27 , Steve Taylor wrote:

> Yes, I got the attachment - thanks!  Might give it a go in the next few
> days, if the repository hasn't been updated with an RPM.  I've already
> learnt from experience to be wary of attempting to compile from source!

We really do want people to do so, though!

It's an understandable, but unfortunate trend that build processes get monopolized by distribution maintainers. Part of the spirit of Open Source is that everyone can tinker with the code, many eyes looking at the sources, etc. As things are going now, it is ironic that it is the Linux distros that do not have new releases tested by end users until it is too late. Too few people try the Windows and Mac prerelease binaries, but at least they are there.

It's not really that dangerous to do your own builds, just keep privat builds separate from the production environment and possibly skip the installation step -- R runs quite happily out of its build directory. Once the toolkits are in place, you can even run builds from a cron job and forget about them (until something breaks).

Mark, one note: I'd keep the builddir completely separate from the srcdir, and not as a subdirectory. I.e. ../R/configure rather than ../configure.