[R-sig-Fedora] Fedora 11: Package RBGL won't install

Tom "spot" Callaway tcallawa at redhat.com
Mon Sep 21 17:59:46 CEST 2009

On 09/21/2009 03:25 AM, Matthias Buehlmaier wrote:
> Peter,
>
> I just installed RBGL on Fedora 10 (64 bit) without any problem. Below
> is my system information. Maybe the problem is related to the gcc
> version, as you have suspected:

So, the answer here is complicated:

* The reason RBGL won't build on Fedora 11 or newer is due to a
combination of:
 - gcc optimization tightening
 - RBGL bundling and using old boost headers

The boost headers in Fedora's boost-devel package have been fixed up,
and should not suffer from these issues. So, I sat down this morning and
whipped up SRPMS for RBGL (and missing deps) which should get you over
this particular hump (they compile against the system boost headers).
Caveat: I only tested them on Rawhide, but they should work on all
versions of Fedora.

I also fixed a bug in RBGL where it was trying to call
"edmunds.karp.max.flow", where that is actually a typo in boost (fixed
in Fedora). You might need to back this patch out to build the R-RBGL
src.rpm on older Fedora releases, I'm not sure when that fix was
committed into boost.

The SPEC files and SRPMs are here:

http://www.auroralinux.org/people/spot/review/RBGL/

If anyone feels inspired to pick them up and put them up for review,
feel free to do so, otherwise, I'll get to them when I have a bit more
time (which will be... sometime in 2049).

~spot