[R-sig-Fedora] problems compiling for RHEL 5.3 x86_64

Roger Bivand Roger.Bivand at nhh.no
Fri Jun 26 15:16:27 CEST 2009

On Fri, 26 Jun 2009, Evan Cooch wrote:

> Well, CentOS 5.3, which amounts to the same thing.
>
> I recently decided to upgrade my main research machine from Fedora Core 8 ->
> CentOS 5.3. Basically, I was looking to move to a distro with longer
> 'term-of-life' than the release schedule for Fedora currently allows. The
> machine is a multi-Opteron box, so both 32- and 64-bit apps natively
> supported. Since I do a lot of 'linear algebra'-heavy things with R, I had
> compiled R 2.9.0 against the ACML blas. ACML contains lapack, so I killed two
> birds with one stone. Generally, I would do a configure with
>
> ./configure --with-tcltk --with-blas="-L/opt/acml4.3.0/gfortran64/lib -lacml"
>
> Worked perfectly. Led to 10-20x speedup in certain calculations.
>

> Things haven't been so good since moving to CentOS. The install of the OS
> went fine, but I can't for the life of me figure out how to compile R against
> blas - ACML-variety or otherwise. Moreover, putting in --with-lapack
> explicitly causes all sorts of errors - the main one being 'hinted at' in the
> R admin docs. The error is
>
> Error in La.svd(x, nu, nv) :
> BLAS/LAPACK routine 'DGESDD' gave error code -12
> Calls: cancor -> svd -> La.svd -> .Call
> Execution halted
>
> So, from the admin guide, I find the following
>
> Since ACML contains a full LAPACK, if selected as the BLAS it can be used as
> the LAPACK /via/ --with-lapack.
> If you do use --with-lapack, be aware of potential problems with bugs in the
> LAPACK 3.0 sources (or in the posted corrections to those sources). In
> particular, bugs in |DGEEV| and |DGESDD| have resulted in error messages such
> as
>
> DGEBRD gave error code -10
>
> Not quite the same error code, but close enough I suspect they're related.
>
> I tried different forms of blas too (atlas, acml) - made little difference.
>
> So, several quick questions:
>
> 1. anyone managed to get x86_64 R compiled under either RHEL, Fedora, or
> CentOS? I don't mean 'installed from an RPM', but...compiled from source.

Yes, RHEL5, x86_64, no problem.

> 2. anyone who answers 'yes' to (1) - did you manage to get it to play nice
> with blas and lapack?

Yes, with GoToBLAS, using the instructions in:

http://cran.r-project.org/doc/manuals/R-admin.html#Linear-algebra

especially:

"Another option to change the BLAS in use is to symlink a dynamic BLAS
library (such as ACML or Goto's) to R_HOME/lib/libRblas.so. For example,
just

      mv R_HOME/lib/libRblas.so R_HOME/lib/libRblas.so.keep
      ln -s /opt/acml4.0.1/gfortran64_mp/lib/libacml_mp.so \
      R_HOME/lib/libRblas.so

will change the BLAS in use to multithreaded ACML."

Note especially A.3.2. Running on a dual core box works well.

Hope this helps,

Roger