[R-sig-Fedora] problems compiling for RHEL 5.3 x86_64

Evan Cooch evan.cooch at cornell.edu
Fri Jun 26 13:52:10 CEST 2009

Well, CentOS 5.3, which amounts to the same thing.

I recently decided to upgrade my main research machine from Fedora Core
8 -> CentOS 5.3. Basically, I was looking to move to a distro with
longer 'term-of-life' than the release schedule for Fedora currently
allows. The machine is a multi-Opteron box, so both 32- and 64-bit apps
natively supported. Since I do a lot of 'linear algebra'-heavy things
with R, I had compiled R 2.9.0 against the ACML blas. ACML contains
lapack, so I killed two birds with one stone. Generally, I would do a
configure with

./configure --with-tcltk --with-blas="-L/opt/acml4.3.0/gfortran64/lib
-lacml"

Worked perfectly. Led to 10-20x speedup in certain calculations.

Things haven't been so good since moving to CentOS. The install of the
OS went fine, but I can't for the life of me figure out how to compile R
against blas - ACML-variety or otherwise. Moreover, putting in
--with-lapack explicitly causes all sorts of errors - the main one being
'hinted at' in the R admin docs. The error is

Error in La.svd(x, nu, nv) :
 BLAS/LAPACK routine 'DGESDD' gave error code -12
Calls: cancor -> svd -> La.svd -> .Call
Execution halted

So, from the admin guide, I find the following

Since ACML contains a full LAPACK, if selected as the BLAS it can be
used as the LAPACK /via/ --with-lapack.
If you do use --with-lapack, be aware of potential problems with bugs in
the LAPACK 3.0 sources (or in the posted corrections to those sources).
In particular, bugs in |DGEEV| and |DGESDD| have resulted in error
messages such as

DGEBRD gave error code -10

Not quite the same error code, but close enough I suspect they're related.

I tried different forms of blas too (atlas, acml) - made little difference.

So, several quick questions:

1. anyone managed to get x86_64 R compiled under either RHEL, Fedora, or
CentOS? I don't mean 'installed from an RPM', but...compiled from source.

2. anyone who answers 'yes' to (1) - did you manage to get it to play
nice with blas and lapack?

Before I do a clean install of yet another distro, I'd really like to
figure out what is going on, and possibly solve the problem.

Thanks in advance...