[R-sig-Fedora] Pango/cairo and symbol fonts

Marc Schwartz marc_schwartz at comcast.net
Mon Jun 30 14:36:23 CEST 2008

on 06/30/2008 04:26 AM Roger Bivand wrote:
> Excuse my asking here than on R-help, but it may be a Fedora question.
> On Fedora 7, I'm running a fresh R 2.7.1 built from source, usually in
> en_GB, but also tried in en_GB.UTF8. Running example(plotmath) generates
> lots of:
>
> Pango-WARNING **: shape engine failure, expect ugly output. the
> offending font is 'Symbol Not-Rotated ...'
>
> Setting:
>
> x11(type="Xlib")
>
> relieves the problem, but I'd like to use cairo if possible. I have both
> urw-fonts and liberation-fonts installed. I'm pretty sure it is my F7,
> not R, and would be grateful for any advice. It's the same story with
> the png device.
>
> Roger

Roger,

Check capabilities() to be sure that 'cairo' shows as TRUE.

If it shows FALSE, be sure to install the cairo and cairo-devel RPMs and
re-build R so that cairo support is available. You may just need the
'cairo-devel' RPM if the 'cairo' RPM is already present.

Also, as an aside, F7 went EOL on June 13.

If that is not helpful, post back.

Regards,

Marc