[R-sig-Fedora] Pango/cairo and symbol fonts

Roger Bivand Roger.Bivand at nhh.no
Mon Jun 30 11:26:50 CEST 2008

Excuse my asking here than on R-help, but it may be a Fedora question. On
Fedora 7, I'm running a fresh R 2.7.1 built from source, usually in en_GB,
but also tried in en_GB.UTF8. Running example(plotmath) generates lots of:

Pango-WARNING **: shape engine failure, expect ugly output. the offending
font is 'Symbol Not-Rotated ...'

Setting:

x11(type="Xlib")

relieves the problem, but I'd like to use cairo if possible. I have both
urw-fonts and liberation-fonts installed. I'm pretty sure it is my F7, not
R, and would be grateful for any advice. It's the same story with the png
device.

Roger

--
Roger Bivand