[R-sig-eco] [EXTERNAL] Multiply censored observations

Cade, Brian c@deb @end|ng |rom u@g@@gov
Mon Jan 28 23:50:07 CET 2019

An alternative to consider would be to use the censored quantile regression
option available in the quantreg package.  This handles left or right
censoring with or without multiple censoring values.  You could just
estimate the censored conditional median (0.50 quantile) to provide an
estimate similar to Mann-Kendall trend test, but have the option of
estimating censored estimates for other quantiles that may provide
additional insight to relationships if there is substantial heterogeneity.
You would have to include the necessary predictors and functions to handle
the seasonal adjustments but that should be quite doable.  The censored
quantile regression approach has much greater modeling flexibility
(inclusion of other predictors, splines on predictors, etc) than the
Mann-Kendall testing approach.

Brian

Brian S. Cade, PhD

U. S. Geological Survey
Fort Collins Science Center
2150 Centre Ave., Bldg. C
Fort Collins, CO  80526-8818

email:  cadeb using usgs.gov <brian_cade using usgs.gov>
tel:  970 226-9326