[R-sig-eco] Any R based GIS package to extract layer associations?

Bede-Fazekas Ákos bf@levli@t @ending from gm@il@com
Tue Jan 15 13:44:18 CET 2019

Dear Bruce,

the old 'sp' package and the new 'sf' package support vector type (i.e.
polygons, points etc.) spatial data, while package 'raster' handles
rater type data.
You might use the following functions:
raster::extract() - extracts values from a raster at the locations of
other spatial data
raster::mask() - masks a raster with a raster or vector
raster::focal() - moving window extraction on a raster
sp::over() or %over% - see this vignette:
https://cran.r-project.org/web/packages/sp/vignettes/over.pdf
You may need package 'rgeos' for the overlapping.
sf::st_join() - spatial left or inner join
Binary geometric operations in package 'sf':
https://r-spatial.github.io/sf/reference/geos_binary_ops.html
Binary geometric predicates in package 'sf':
https://r-spatial.github.io/sf/reference/geos_binary_pred.html
Also see this page:
https://cran.r-project.org/web/packages/sf/vignettes/sf3.html#geometrical_operations

HTH,