[R-sig-eco] 2-way adonis (PERMANOVA) incl interaction - how to test for main effects?

Ellen Pape ellen@p@pe @ending from gm@il@com
Wed Oct 24 10:29:01 CEST 2018

Hello,

  Yes, but is there no way of testing for the main effects and

> interaction simultaneously?
In general, this is "not allowed", to say it with your words.

OK, but this is done in general ANOVAs, no? test for interaction and main
effects simultaneously (and then if you have a sign interaction term, you
cannot interpret the tests for the main effects) - at least that is how I
was taught how to do this (but maybe this is wrong?)

FYI - package "RVAideMemoire" does indeed contain a function to perform
type II adonis tests ("adonis.II"), but no type III tests..

best wishes to all,
Ellen