[R-sig-eco] 2-way adonis (PERMANOVA) incl interaction - how to test for main effects?

Marcelino De La Cruz Rot m@rcelino@del@cruz @ending from urjc@e@
Tue Oct 16 12:24:50 CEST 2018

El 16/10/2018 a las 12:09, Ellen Pape escribió:
> Hi,
>
> Yes, but is there no way of testing for the main effects and
> interaction simultaneously?

In general, this is "not allowed", to say it with your words.

> I also thought of first testing the interaction:
> adonis2(speciesdataset~ A *** B, by="margin") , and then - if the
> interaction is not significant- testing for the main effects by
> adonis2(speciesdataset~ A *+* B, by="margin") . Is this "allowed"?

This is analogous to, e.g., an ANCOVA, isn't it? Therefore it makes
quite sense.