[R-sig-eco] Fitting a GLMM to a percent cover data with glmer or glmmTMB

Scott@Foster m@ili@g off d@t@61@csiro@@u Scott@Foster m@ili@g off d@t@61@csiro@@u
Thu Nov 29 20:57:12 CET 2018

Hi,

I agree with Zoltan that bionimial is probably inappropriate, for the reasons he stated.

I'm not sure that Tweedie is your solution though -- it is defined for non-negative real numbers.
 Not just those between 0 and 100%.  Perhaps easiest to think of fish biomass caught in a net (can
be zero, or more.

Tweedie might work though, if your percentages are typically nowhere near the 100% boundary.  In
this case, the upper end of the support is kind of immaterial...  You hope...

Does glmmTMB supply a beta distribution?  Zero-inflated beta?  The quantile regression idea might be
useful too, as Brian suggested, but I'm not sure about random effects in that case.  Beta regression
will also have problems with exactly 0% (or 100%) observations.

It seems, to me, that you might be forced to make a decision about what is 'least wrong', rather
than what is 'best'.

Scott

PS Vasco and Zoltan: Sorry for the reply earlier, the message to the list bounced (CSIRO has
recently changed my email address).