[R-sig-eco] Functional Diversity help!

Mark Thomas tr@velm@rk85 @ending from gm@il@com
Fri Aug 10 13:06:50 CEST 2018

Dear r-sig-ecology,
Please forgive me if this question has already been answered, I have
perused the web and due to me being fairly new to R, I have had trouble
interpreting the answers.

I wish to calculate the functional diversity indices (Functional Richness,
divergence, evenness, Rao-quadratic).

My dataset consists of 14 species, 25 sites, and 8 categorical traits.

I have been using the FD package but from what I have read I need to
convert the categorical data using the gowdist function and then run pcoa
to generate continuous data?

However, when I run the gowdist and pcoa I thought I'd get a number to
replace the categorical data so I could then run the dbFD function in the
FD package to calculate the FD indices, but this isn't happening, and I am
not sure how to take the output from the pcoa and run in dbFD.

Any help would be greatly appreciated (apologies for the beginner question)
thanks