[R-sig-eco] Interpretation of RDA triplot where x axis is RDA vector and y axis is PCA vector

François Gillet francois.gillet at univ-fcomte.fr
Wed Jun 14 17:11:52 CEST 2017

Dear Marko,

First, you should not exclude explanatory variables with high VIF before
the forward selection, but use VIF afterwards to check the result of this
selection.
Second, if you select only one (numeric or binary) explanatory variable,
then you get only one constrained axis and the adjusted R-square gives you
the variation in the response matrix explained by this single variable. You
can plot the first unconstrained axis, which shows the main residual
variation in your data. So yes, this RDA and its triplot are meaningful.

Best wishes,

François

Pr *François Gillet*
Université de Franche-Comté - CNRS
UMR 6249 Chrono-environnement
UFR Sciences et Techniques
16, Route de Gray
F-25030 Besançon cedex
France
http://chrono-environnement.univ-fcomte.fr/
Phone: +33 (0)3 81 66 62 81
iPhone: +33 (0)7 88 37 07 76
Location: La Bouloie, Bât. Propédeutique, -114L
Associate Editor of* Plant Ecology and Evolution*
http://www.plecevo.eu
Homepage: http://chrono-environnement.univ-fcomte.fr/spip.php?article530
ResearchID: http://www.researcherid.com/rid/B-6160-2008
Google Scholar: http://scholar.google.com.au/citations?user=a5xiIfQAAAAJ