[R-sig-eco] Interpretation of RDA triplot where x axis is RDA vector and y axis is PCA vector

Marko Djurakic marko.djurakic at dbe.uns.ac.rs
Mon Jun 5 17:54:39 CEST 2017

Dear r-sig-ecology community,

I appreciate if someone can tell me is it meaningful to interpret
redundancy analysis (RDA) and triplot of RDA where x axis represent RDA
vector and y axis is PCA vector?

For instance, I performed RDA in vegan where response matrix was
Hellinger-transformed absolute abundance of several types of chromosomal
inversions and explanatory matrix consisted of 19 bioclim variables.
With a full set of bioclim variables model was overfitted and I reduced
number of explanatory variables using VIF and afterwards (if necessary)
performed forward selection. In the final model, there was only one
explanatory variable in the model, thus there is one RDA axis, and
several PCA axes (unconstrained residual variance). Therefore RDA
triplot shows RDA vector as x axis and PCA vector on the y axis. Is is
meaningful to interpret such RDA and its graph?

Kind regards,

Marko