[R-sig-eco] Dissimilarity measure for rank data

Hanna Tuomisto hanna.tuomisto at utu.fi
Thu Jun 8 15:26:29 CEST 2017

Hi Tania,

Even though there is no perfect answer: don't use the combination Hellinger transformation + Bray-Curtis distance. The appropriate combination is Hellinger transformation + Euclidean distance, which gives you Hellinger distances (this is an asymmetric dissimilarity measure, which does not suffer from the double-zero problem that plagues the Euclidean distance). Bray-Curtis distance is in itself asymmetric, and it can be used directly both on regular abundance data and on ranked data.

Cheers,
Hanna Tuomisto