[R-sig-eco] [AniMov/R-sig-eco] adehabitat HR: Problem with BRB and sample size (number of fixes)

Mathieu Basille basille.web at ase-research.org
Sun Aug 27 15:07:35 CEST 2017

Hey Dagmar,

What do you mean by "testing if the UD size is related to the number of
fixes"? Did you model UD size as a function of number of fixes using all
fixes for all animals? If that's what you did, you could also check if it's
true by animal too. One way to do it would be to compute UDs for each
animal over samples of fixes for instance every 10, 20, 30, 40, 50 and 60
minutes, and see if there is any relation here. If there is, you may not
have other option than subsampling at the hour scale to compare all animals
(but what does the UD mean if there is such variation related to sampling?
I'm not familiar enough with BRBs to comment here). If there is no
relationship per animal, then you simply have animals with high number of
fixes AND large UDs!

Hope this helps,
Mathieu.