[R-sig-eco] adehabitatHR: Problem with BRB and sample size (number of fixes)

Dagmar Ramgad82 at gmx.net
Thu Aug 24 10:56:31 CEST 2017

Dear all,

I want to compare the homerange size between animals based on GPS data
but it seems not to work.

Here is what I did:

I calculated the homeranges using the Biased random bridges from
adehabitat HR.

Animal_ltraj <- as.ltraj(animalxy, animaltime, id=TierID)
D_Animal <- BRB.D(Animal_ltraj, Tmax=21600, Lmin=36)

Animal_Grid <- ascgen(allanimals_xy, cellsize=32)  # I chose 32 because
it was the smallest cellsize chosen automatically. I thought to compare
homerange size between animals I must use the same grid for all of them.

Animal_BRB <- BRB(Animal_ltraj, D=
D_Animal,type=c("UD"),Tmax=21600,Lmin=36, hmin=100,grid=Animalgrid)
kernel.area(Animal_BRB, unout=c("km2"))

My problem:

I have very different sample sizes (i.e. number of fixes): Most animals
were located hourly but two animals were located about each 5 min. This
results in sample sizes of about 150 fixes per animals and some animals
do have almost 10.000 fixes for the same periods of time.

Because I want to compare the resulting home range sizes I tested if the
UD size is related to the number of fixes and unfortunatly (!!) they are.

That means that I cannot compare homerange sizes between my animals

My question:

- did I do something wrong?

- is that problem known and is there a way to solve it?

The only way that I find is to reduce the number of fixes of my
frequently located animals artificially / randomly to start with the
equal number of fixes for all animals. This would be a shame though!

Help would be very, very, very much appreciated!!!