[R-sig-eco] How to obtain P value from Monte Carlo sampling for adonis (permanova)?

Law, Jason Jason.Law at portlandoregon.gov
Fri Nov 18 20:39:05 CET 2016

Brian has some really sound advice here. Using a Monte Carlo approximation rather than the exact result kind of misses the entire point. 0.05 is arbitrary and using an approximation to an exact distribution that you can easily calculate is misguided. Getting a p-value of 0.1 versus 0.05 really shouldn't result in any groundbreaking scientific differences in interpretation, despite what a journal might say about your p-values.

You should read Greenland et al (http://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s10654-016-0149-3) which has some choice quotes from Neyman and Pearson and a lot of wisdom regarding the insanity surrounding our use of p-values.

Jason Law
Statistician, City of Portland
Water Pollution Control Laboratory
6543 N Burlington Ave,