[R-sig-eco] How to obtain P value from Monte Carlo sampling for adonis (permanova)?

Cade, Brian cadeb at usgs.gov
Fri Nov 18 17:50:43 CET 2016

Ellen:  If you are running permutation procedures with data that have very
small sample sizes in each group (your two groups of n = 3 each yields only
6!/(3!3!) = M = 20 permutations under Ho), then you just have to live with
the fact that the smallest possible P-value is 1/M (= 0.05 for your two
group example).  There is nothing magical about P < 0.05 anyways.  But as
the Monte Carlo resampling approach to obtaining permutation P-values
really is just a method to attempt to approximate the exact permutation
P-value (and usually used when M is so large that you can not enumerate it
exactly in reasonable computation time), you should not rely on it when the
number or permutations M is so small, and especially not just because you
might obtain a P < 1/M.  If you obtain a P-value <0.05 in your example
using the Monte Carlo resampling procedure, all that indicates is that the
Monte Carlo resampling approach is a poor approximation in this small
sample situation.  I think it is always preferable to obtain and interpret
the exact permutation distribution if it is easily calculable.  Using a
crummy approximation just because you want P < 0.05 seems unreasonable to
me.

Brian

Brian S. Cade, PhD

U. S. Geological Survey